Friday, March 30, 2012

Were across to WA....yahooo...

March 30th today , last flight we were stuck in Yalata at a small dirt runway, in an aboriginal settlement . morning was good for flight and at first light I was off again , today was the day long and tiring but managed to do my best flight total to date 450km . I took 3 fillups but basically flew for about 9 hrs with small breaks for sugar to keep my going , some of it was rough but nice to have the wind at my back or so some of the time . The next 4 days are a seris of flights 210 km 280km 250 km , it seems to never have the wind favor us or change after about 2 hr of flying to slow our progress down. The mid day thermal are brutal we are lucky to have a cloud cover which is allowing me to fly mid day. The nullabour cliffs were cool to see but I had to do battle with a direct north wind at about 30 km hrs , which ment if I get to close I get pushed back into the ocean .. not a nice way to finish ! At times had to get low as the upper winds increaded and it got real bumpy up high that is over 1000ft , so surfing along at around 200 ft full bar and keeping the wing over me at th same time. Entering WA was a treat ... an accoplishment were here ! As I passed the road house I noticed a large building and saw it was for fruit quarantine ! Shit we had so much nice fruit and vegtables which were confiscated for pest coming into WA. So here we are at the campsite with only meat pastaand rice left , bastards...I mean this is done in the middle of th desert with no where to stop to buy new food ! and we dont know how many days it is going to take us to cross ! To make a long story short we end uptaking another few days and yesterday endedup in Norsman the finish of the Nullabour !Yeah were were all happy , we wear out of food and water and had'nt showered for 4-5 days. the lat 2 dys of flying were tough as the clouds had disappeared and it was tough rough flying and very hard on the mind and body , especially the shoulders and rotater cuffs. I am mainly quiet in the evenings in recover mode ! They do not know what i'm going through unless your the one doing it you cant feel it . Today and yesterday were wating games and watching the weather the past 4 day we have been without cell or computor sevice to check winds which I find is good and bad. good we get more work done to the motors and campermuch needed repairs to both , Now we have 2 motors running again which we have not had since the beginning of the trip !! With our spare parts the boys got together and did the job, I watched and cooked... kitchen bitch !! They know better than me which parts work now and which ones are finished and what we need to finish this off. Yesterday flew 120 km into Norsman , tried an afternoon flight a few times and just about hit the trees shit ! the next flight I only had 10 km foward speed ,not enought to clear the tree's and get us the 169 km we need to th next town . Stayed in Norsman at the campground showere, food ,shopping and laundry , Today winds are better and get off at 3pm and get my butt kicked for the 1st hr , probably the most violet air yet , clof front had just passed , flyng in the lee of some mtns and cross wind mixed with thermals ... not fun ! Evening was better tail cross wind , lighter later in the flight. 140 km and were into Coolgarie ? Just enough fuel and time to land before last light , and a good set up for tomorrows ever changing winds ! good night !

No comments: