Monday, April 2, 2012

Coolgardie to Merriden 280 km....

Coolgardie, Saturday the 31st , up at dark set up ready for legal light winds were supposed to be freshening ! Forcast is for 20km NE winds, a run for Southern Cross, then to Merriden . About 88km into the flight I hit a change of wind and everything went crazy .. bouncing around wildly , after a few minutes I noticed a buzzing through my helmet trying to figure out if the visor was coming undone. then again ...what the *(*((%$$ !. I then looked back and saw the whole cage vibrating ,, oh shit ! guys I'm going down.. look for a landing area , no power left. Now what !! I was going so well ..land on the highway so the guys can see me and have a possible take off area. Turn off motor so it does not explode on me ! Turn final setting up , look ahead coming around the corner is a semi .. but this is a Widee load carring a D8 cat on the back ... shit... well he's not stopping,I put it down on the shoulder just as he passes , we both have a holy shit that was close look on our faces !! Wait 10 minutes the guys show up and find out that the prop flexed and hit the frame of the cage all three parts were toasted . We figured it was the turbulance that caused it , but 2 days later when were swapping motors out again to get one running we finally found that the casing of the motor was cracked where the tensioner was on the belt , This would have caused the pulley/belt to move causing the prop strike . We changed motor over and used the other one , carb change , etc . ,35 minutes later and a scetchy launch where I just about took out the truck , I had a huge climb out when I hit the wind above trees , but off and moving ! Managed to fly past Southern Cross into just a few km short of Merriden 6 hrs flying , 280 km , buzzing tired and and hungry , I did it ... Whew i'm bagged . Into town for lunch before everything closed about 2pm it Saturday in OZ ! Went out for an afternoon flight winds were light and fickle , untill I took off ! The winds were NW so we turned south and tried to go tack west , ended up going about 50 km and hit a SW wind so turned northerly and ran about another 50 km back , we cant get away for the headwinds slowing our progress west ! Total for the day was 380 or so , I find a nice place to land out of the way and quiet ! My legs are toasted , my body is worn out, I laid down and tried to rest my buzzing body , the guys set up camp , I eat and go to bed..,Tomorrow's another day the end is near ....

No comments: