Saturday, March 17, 2012

North into SA .... and PT Augusta ?

We did not get out of Edenhope on the Friday, low clouds about 400ft and some rain , waited most of the day and could see clearing coming , to stay or go ?? We were invited by the locals to come to supper at the golf club, excellent meal and good company , thanks !! Supper was paid for and as we left they gave us a meat hamper for the trip hmmmmm... that will be nice ! Up early on sat. morning , still dark as usual lots of locals out to see us off in the morning , fueled up ready to head north , hand prop the engine , the starter is finished, it starts well and easy , a few quick low passes for the local crowd and norht at 64km /hr . Flew up thru Bordertown SA and now north , morning flight 140km . Quick meat pie and coffee and warm up a bit ... it was so cold this morning about 11c - 2c for 1000ft up and wind chill . So more like 4c for me flying , did not bring warm enough cloths ! Topped up on gas and flew another 60 km and landed when I was getting my butt kicked around again , but good progress ! Spent sat afternoon at the bakery eating andd doing some internet waiting for the wind to slow down , as usual ! Evening flight at about 6pm flew untill dark or about 15 minutes after sunset , nice flight quite calm and pleasent ! Another 75km , nice camp area in between 2 roads , I like camping and finding new places to stop from the air , my ground crew could not catch me , ground speed of about 85 -90 km/ hr and I can cut corners !! Today is the 18th ..... ahhh could feel the wind all night on the tent , but not gusty smooth laminar air , told the guys well be flying asap and wanted them under me as they usually aren't in the morning, and I'm not good with that !! Told them I wanted them to be packed up and ready to leave when I did... it worked well and they were on my ass .. untill the town and they had to get gas . Flew along at between 50km/hr and 113km/ hr depending on wich direction the roads went , quick 11o km flight then the shit happened again , thermals and bumpy and more wind . Made it to 145km and landed ... here we sit waiting for the wind to die once again on the side or the road ! Life in the outback ! It's all GOOD... I'm happy ! cheers

No comments: