Sunday, December 7, 2008

Yahoo , I made it to Columbia...

Well after a few days of sorting out my rotten bike , had to pull the carb. off again .It´s a big hassel this time I took it into a mechanic and used his air hose to blow it out . It is now working fine, must have been some clogging in one of the holes , the gas was bad as well . I did get out of Panama the next day like I thought . Loaded the bike at the cargo terminal at 9am and was at the Passenger termimal at 10:30am . I had Omar a guy whom owns a Import/ Export business in Panama meet me at the cargo terminal, he took care of my papers with customs for the past year and helped me get my bike on a flight right away. Then he gave me a ride to the terminal such a nice guy , whom also rides a big 1100 harley, he just said to me well we are all bike riders and we help each other... all he wanted was to see me continue my journey without problems . Remember I had left my bike in Panama illegally , so when I came back into Panama I had to legally get it back into the country , so I could then take it out again , so he took care of the customs B.S. that goes on !!
Most flights were full but I did manage to catch a flight on Copa at 11:30 am and was in Bogata by 1:30pm . As I was sitting in the lounge waiting for the plane , I was talking with a woman , whom was also getting on my flight , well her Family owns the shipping company who I shipped my bike with , what a shot of luck ! She helped my get a taxi and find my place in the city and told me to contact her the next day to get the bike out easy. Well I was out of customs and had the bike waiting for me at the shipping company 2 hrs later. That´s luck for you ... but then the bike started acting up going thru Bogata city ,only 7 million people in this city ...
I couple of days in the city to sort the bike troubles out and now I am in Bucamarunga a city north about 8 hrs drive . Staying at http://www.colombiaparagliding.com/ it´s a nice place over looking the city. Richi Mantilla owns the company, does tours and tandems . A great place to fly and chill out for a few days . Bogata was a nice city as far as cities go relaxed, modern, clean and seemed friendly. Columbia is working hard on their bad reputation and are welcoming the tourist to their nice country . The county side was a mix of new zealand and switzerland , very green nice lakes and lots of farming . The roads were ok , lots of construction and crappy drivers passing going up hills with solid lines .... you really have to keep your wits about you , interesting and heart stopping sometimes !
Well thats about it for now , tomorrow i´m going flying and tuesday heading for Medellin west of Bogata . My speedometer cable holder fell on the bike and hit the spokes while i was riding yesterday causing the cable to get ripped apart , now i need a new one as i don´t know how fast I am going or how many km I have done .... oh well small problems on a trip like this ... cheers

No comments: