Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Huaraz valley southerly to La union

I decided not to cross the passes here as I was told I may have to wait while the snow clears and the traffic can pass, The highest pass here is 4700 m, I thought that would be cool to do but maybe not in the rainly season . This was a good decision, as I headed south I could see new snow down low already, I did not want to go to the coast again so decided to head inland I crossed over a 3100 m pass and it was raining and some hail , this day was the most amazing day for scenery on the trip so far. Roads were good for most of the day and it was incredible hope to post some pictures soon . The last part of the day was well nice but tough and slow going very windy and lots of mud and holes in gravel . It was 3pm and they said it was another 4 hrs of this type of road , I ended up making a few wrong turns out here , it is sort of like taking logging roads in Canada you never know here you are half of the time , most side roads are not marked , you supposed to know where you are out here .
Well I got to the top of another pass at dark and was not going to try top go down , I started to set up my tent on the side of this road when a truck stopped and said not too it was very dangerous for robbers !! So plan B keep going at dark I stopped and asked directions and know I was not going to get down and asked this family if i could camp in their yard at 3000m again. I ended up setting up in the dark and fog . The dogs did´nt like me camped in the yard and kept barking at me everytime i turned in the tent. Well it was a sleepless night between the dogs and oporing rain and the truicks passing by within a few feet. I was up at 5pm with everyone on else , I could hear people walking by my tent and talking about the gringo and why do they get up so early , it foggy, raining sort of and still dark, all they do here is heard sheep and cattle and donkeys . Well I said my goodbyes to the family and the dogs and headed down the windy muddy road for 2 more hrs . I am so happy I camped on the top that night instead of going down the road in the dark even if i didn´t get any sleep . I also ate something which made me sick this day and my kidney are really hurting to move much or bend over ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.