Wednesday, December 17, 2008

X crossing into Ecuador ....

Its the 17th today , I was making terrible time in the last part of Columbia, very windy roads and truck traffic , I guess i have to get my ass out of bed earlier. But it is slow going some days. I was passed by some guys on bigger bikes today and tried to keep up with them , they were way to fast for me , I did pass them in town using my GPS for route finding and then we met up at the border. They are from Columbia and riding inot Ecuador on a 10 day tour , they helped me get thru Customs on the Columbia side , then we all waited at the Ecuador side ... for 5 Fu%$ing hrs , waiting to get a stamp into Ecuador , not a good start , but everyone was in the same boat , So next time I have to wait in a line up at Canada customs I will remember how organised it really is !! By the time we got out it was 5pm and getting dark and then it started to rain , I did make it to my friends house in Ibarra at 7.30 pm , 100 km north of Quito.
I stayed at Jorge house for 2 nights and toured around the area , I Put on an SIV course here in 1998 the first for Ecuadorian pilots and it was in this town , so it was cool to see it 10 yrs later .. Nice area but so complex with the weather systems , found some thermal pools and went for a soak for a few hrs and read my book , actually I read 3 books so far on my trip ... pretty nice !

Today i´m at my freinds house Henri in Quito , stayed last night and am planning to leave today to head south , have to make some miles , i figure it will take 3 days to leave Ecuador and head for Peru for x mas . I just don´t want to cross again on a Sunday like last week .. but you never know here ... life is good anyways .. at least i´m not in - 40c like Alberta ... Ha ha ....

No comments: